Student Financial Services
I have filed for bankruptcy, do I still owe PHSC for my delinquent account?

Debts owed to the college may not be automatically discharged in a Bankruptcy. 

Pursuant to Section 523(a)(8) of the United States Bankruptcy Code, Educational Loans are exempted from discharge regardless of how long they have been in repayment.  The change applies to bankruptcies filed after October 7, 1998.  This is now equally true in Chapter 13 cases as well as Chapter 7 cases. 

Exceptions to discharge:

Pursuant to Section 523(a)(8) of the United Stated Bankruptcy code an educational benefit, overpayment or loan made, insured or guaranteed by a governmental unit, or made under  any program funded in whole or in part by a governmental unit or nonprofit institution, or for an obligation to repay funds received as an educational benefit, scholarship or  stipend, unless excepting such debt from discharge under this paragraph will impose an undue hardship on the debtor and the debtor's dependents.